Welcome to the Website of the Master's Degree Program "Studies in European Societies"!
Submission deadline for international applicants extended until August 10 2014!
For detials see: HOW TO APPLY
MA SES is a 2-year program which offers a comparative perspective on the social, political, economic and cultural dimensions of contemporary European societies.
MA SES offers:
- a unique comparative perspective on Europe and Russia in the rich cultural context of the most European city in Russia - St. Petersburg
- a chance to join networks of academics and practitioners across Europe
- a friendly environment of international teachers and students
- support in obtaining recognition of European BA diplomas in Russia
Advantages of MA SES:
- Students can conduct multidisciplinary comparative studies to discover the Russian-European space
- There is a welcoming international atmosphere in a group blending European, Russian and Asian students and a team of international teachers
- Numerous international opportunities: research mobility, internships, schools and workshops
- Highly qualified lecturers from Bielefeld University, St. Petersburg State University, University of Magdeburg and other European higher schools
- Possibility of studying in English and learning Russian
- Many further career options in Russia and internationally
- The diploma of St. Petersburg State University is complemented by an international certificate from Bielefeld University
- European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS)
- 2-3 week Winter school in Berlin and Bielefeld for all first year students
- Internships in leading Russian and European research centers, international organizations and enterprises such as the Centre for European Policy Studies, Brussels; European Public Law Center, Athens; Chamber of Commerce, Gent; Norwegian Institute of International Affairs, Oslo; Center for Democracy, Zurich; Committees for Cultural Affairs and External Relations, St. Petersburg City Administration; Goethe Institute, St. Petersburg; Russian-Baltic Media Center, St. Petersburg; universities of Bremen, Jena, Paris and more
- The chance to gain first-hand knowledge of Russia and Russian culture
- Staying in St. Petersburg - the second largest and the 'most European' of all Russian cities
- Unique insider-outsider perspective on European societies provided within MA SES in Russia
- Employment in international administrations, NGOs and businesses in Russia and around the globe. Our graduates are currently employed in OSCE, 'Gazprom Oil', Comisión Federal de Telecomunicaciones (Mexico), representative office of North Rhine-Westphalia in St. Petersburg, public TV channels and international departments of Russian banks
Here you can watch a video CLIP about the Master's degree program "Studies in European Societies".
MA SES is run by:
St. Petersburg State University - the oldest higher education establishment in Russia, one of the two biggest universities of the country that is included in the Academic Ranking of World Universities (Shanghai Ranking). SPSU is entitled to develop its own educational standards which provides for flexibility and diversity in the educational process. Details: http://spbu.ru/
Bielefeld University -a German university that is famous as the home of one of the biggest and most prominent faculties of sociology in Europe. It is known for combining research and teaching and focusing on interdisciplinary approaches. Details: http://www.uni-bielefeld.de/
The Center for German and European Studies - a research center that is a joint institute of St. Petersburg State University and Bielefeld University. The goals of the Center are to promote and conduct comparative interdisciplinary research projects with participation of social scientists from Russia, Germany and other European countries; to organize international scientific events; to support academic mobility and international educational programs.
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) - a globally acting self-governing national agency of German institutions of higher education which supports international academic cooperation, primarily via promoting student, teacher and researcher exchange. Details: http://www.daad.ru/